Friday, June 3, 2011

Feedback, not Failure

Hello blog land! Happy Friday to everyone, hope you're all doing well. I can't believe it's June already, half a year down. Which means my birthday is just a couple months away and I'm not really excited to be 29. It feels like a looming deadline of getting my life in order before turning the Dirty 30. Moving on....!

I've been doing pretty well on Weight Watchers Online, dropping 22 lbs as of today! At the beginning of the program I was losing 3-5 pounds each week and now it has leveled off. To be honest, I didn't believe this week would amount to anything. I didn't track, I didn't work out (first time in months that I didn't make it to the gym the whole week), and was distracted by other aspects of life. This morning I got my result of a loss of 0.1lbs. You can lose that by going to the bathroom, so instead of dwelling on what I didn't lose, I'm focusing on what I *gained* this week.

- Emotional eating: I'm triggered by stress and anxiety. I had my final and distracted myself from studying by eating. What did that get me: a really bloated tummy, feelings of disgust and defeat.
- Events: I saw Usher on Memorial Day Weekend with my sister. I enjoyed beer, alcohol, and fried food without feeling guilty. However my body didn't feel very good; it's possible it contributed to my lack of energy and motivation to get to the gym. Watching Akon and Usher jump around on stage, well....that was motivation to keep on keepin on! I think they do their Perfect Push ups back stage :)
-Activity: I missed all of my favorite classes this week, resulting in feeling lethargic and jiggly. Even at work when I lift the 5 gallon paint buckets, I don't feel as strong.
- Choices: not all of my choices were bad per se, but I felt out of control since I didn't plan and didn't measure portions. Lesson learned: failing to plan is planning to fail!

So what does this mean for this new week? It means action, putting what I learned to use, and keeping my eyes on the prize. Each night I will pack my lunch for work, setting myself up for success and feeling in control of my choices. Monday night I will be going to U-Jam for the first time in a month (yay!), kicking off my return to activity.

For the past two years, I have mentioned in this blog how I don't want to be dealing with my weight by the time I'm 30. I want to be maintaining my health and figure, and stop having it define my outlook on life. I have decided that I want to lose 40lbs total by my birthday. It's a clear, defined goal that isn't too short or long and obtainable. By doing this, I will achieve many milestones that I haven't reached in a long time and I'm really excited to get there. I will get there one day, one week at a time...

3 comments:

Senorita said...

Girl, eating a ton before finals is totally forgiveable, especially if it helps you study.

No matter what, your weight will always be an issue (unless you can just cure all the emotional issues behind it) because even when you reach goal, you will be maintaining, which I've heard can sometimes be more difficult.

I keep telling myself that I am going to get my depression completely under control, but the truth is, it will always be there, even if it is dormant for a while, there are always triggers. And it always bites you when you think you've got it handled and under control.

30 is not so bad, you'll see. I feel like I can see things a lot clearer, and tend to make better decisions.

Big Mark 243 said...

Sondra gave you a lot of good advice Ashleigh. The concert is forgivable and so is final binging. Thing is to get back on the horse and keep at it. You will get there slowly and surely. Don't down any 'loss'... a .1 loss is still a loss!

I am going to do a fitness post later this week in my other blog, you may want to check it out!

L&R
Mark

Cerissa Beveridge said...

proud of you!